Total Pageviews

Monday, March 21, 2011

Notes on Cooking for One

I feel that I've strayed a bit from the original concept of this blog, which was supposed to be recipes and suggestions for cooking for one. Several of the recipes are scaled for one or are flexible as to amount, but many make a larger amount. I just couldn't resist sharing some of my favorites. So the question becomes whether to freeze the leftovers, recycle into other dishes, or both. I am not a big fan of freezing, mainly because I don't have a good freezer. I also tend to forget about things in the freezer.  Freeze away, if you like, but I have tried to provide for recycling leftovers if you prefer that route.

After a large recipe, I try to incorporate the leftovers into the recipes for the next two days.. I think three days is enough. After that, freeze or toss! So brisket becomes barbecue, then beef hash. Roast chicken and rice becomes chicken enchiladas, then black beans and rice (chicken spaghetti should have appeared in this sequence, too -- I posted it too soon!).

The main thing I would like to emphasize about cooking alone is to make it special, to honor yourself as much as you would any guest. Every meal, especially in the evening, should be attractively arranged on a pretty plate. Eat at a real table, not hunched over a coffee table -- I've done it and I understand, but you will enjoy the meal so much more if the plate and utensils are at a more comfortable height. And take the time to make yourself something nutricious, delicious, and satisfying! Taking the time to prepare a nice evening meal is kind of like taking the time in the morning to groom yourself carefully -- you may not always feel like it, but It makes you feel so much better when you're done! Of course, anyone who is cooking for one must include dinners out and takeout food in the routine, too. But commercially prepared food grows tiresome after a while. There is no substitute for a homecooked meal.

I'd really like feedback in the comments section if there is any particular issue of cooking for one you would like to see me addresss, or any recipe requests or cooking questions. For example, I've thought about doing a post on kitchen devices...let me know...

No comments:

Post a Comment