Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Vincent Price's Palm Beach Tennis Club Salad

I first had this salad many years ago, when my friend Bill Johnson invited me to his dinner club. Each member of the club would bring one dish for the dinner, and Bill had been assigned to bring the salad. He found this recipe in a charity cookbook of some kind, I believe. I probably don't remember it completely accurately, but the dresssing was especially delicious.
Make sure in any salad that the greens are completely dry. This allows the dressing to coat the leaves evenly.

The salad:

Boston or Bibb lettuce: washed, dried, and torn into medium pieces
bacon, crumbled
Blue Cheese, crumbled
scallions, chopped
artichoke hearts, chopped
croutons
avocado, diced
hard-boiled egg, diced

Assemble ingredients in a large bowl and toss with dressing:

Three parts walnut oil to one part pear vinegar, salt and white pepper to taste.

My Tom Thumb has walnut oil. The pear vinegar is a little harder to find, but worth it!

More later...

No comments:

Post a Comment