Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Ham Pepper Slices with Romaine and Northwood Dressing

When I was growing up, the buffets at Northwood Country Club held one main attraction for me: the "Northwood" salad dressing. The manager of the club always kept the recipe secret, and when he retired he refused to divulge the secret ingredient. I have tried over the years to replicate it, and this is the closest I have come. I knew it had shredded hard boiled egg, but it took me a long time to realize that the "secret ingredient" must have been beets!

This dressing is fantastic on anything. At the buffets, we had a choice of shrimp, crab, stuffed eggs, various marinated vegetables, chicken salad, etc. Chopped romaine lettuce holds up best to the rather heavy dressing.

Here, I have chosen pepper slices because I have some leftover pepper and ham salad. But start with the dressing and romaine, and let your imagination (and your refrigerator) be your guide (you could also stuff the pepper with cream cheese, tuna, etc.)!

Ham Pepper Slices

1 medium red or green pepper
ham salad

Wash and trim the pepper (removing ends, seeds, and membranes). Stuff with ham salad. Chill for 12 hours. Slice with a hot, sharp knife.

Northwood Dressing (or the closest I can come!)

1/2 cup vinaigrette (with garlic & Dijon mustard)
2 shredded hard boiled eggs
2 tablespoons julienned cooked beet
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1 teaspoon chopped onion
1 tablespoon chopped stuffed green olives

Place all ingredients in blender (or use immersion blender) and pulse two or three times.

Serve the pepper slices on a bed of chopped romaine lettuce and top with dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment